Rice is the main diet of 50 percent of the population. Jasmine brown rice, a type of long grain rice, has beautiful aromatic fragrance like pandan leaves. Its texture is starchy and not as sticky as short grain rice. Jasmine brown rice is originally from Thailand. Brown rice offers a lot more benefits; it reduces your risk of having diabetes, heart disease and cancer according to a study done by Havard School of Public Health.
- 2 cups* of Jasmine brown rice
- 4- 5 cups* of filtered water
Ideally, brown rice should be presoaked about 3-4 hours before. If the rice is not presoaked, use 2 1/4 cups of water for 1 cup of rice. For presoaked brown rice, use 1 and 3/4 cups of water for 1 cup of rice.
- Put the measured rice and water in the pot.
- Turn the stove on to medium to medium high. If you have electric stove, turn it on between six and seven for about 20 minutes.
- As the water reaches about ½-3/4 left, turn the stove down to low between 2 and 3 for 15-20 minutes if depends on how soft you like the rice.
- Turn off the stove and leave it on the stove for 5 minutes.
- It is now ready to serve. Bon Appetit!
If you prefer crunchier rice, shorten step #3 to 15 minutes. Short grain rice can be cooked with the same method except with less water.
*I usually use the rice cup that came with the rice cooker. You can use the same proportion with a regular measuring cup.